My Nightmare Vacation to Puerto Rico in 2021 – Part IV – The Morning After

To recap – So far we have canceled flights, lost luggage (we were assured would be there the next day), no car, and an amazing view. We made it, we bought supplies (didn’t know I could bill Frontier for that at the time, oh well), we found a rental car, and we’re going to dinner. The cavalcade of tragedy is over.

Or so we thought.

We had a lackluster meal at Gonzalez’s (again, their spelling) but we got back to the AirBnB with our car and plans to enjoy the beach and a bioluminescent pool the next day.

At 0330 (330am) I was awakened to… Sounds coming from the bathroom. Jen was definitely ill. I wish I could say at this point that I was a good travel partner and went to check on her, but I did not. I listened for any cry for help and let her have some privacy. I mean, we don’t usually want an audience for our bathroom duties and I was happy to oblige that courtesy.

At 0400 (4am) I was awakened to… My own body demanding that I take a run at the restroom for my own intestinal distress. I will spare you details but there was much exiting my body at a high velocity. Thank goodness there was a trash can next to the vanity.

While we can’t be sure of the cause, we have supposed that the only thing we had in common the past few days was the fish stew at Gonzalez’s. I didn’t try her icky shrimp, she didn’t want to try my icky steak, and we had separate drinks. The breakfast was sealed except for the eggs which only I ate.

Now we each have presumed food poisoning and can be no more than 10 feet away from a toilet at any given time. Over the course of that day I recovered well enough to go into town and visit the CVS for some anti-nausea and Pepto. Jen was not so lucky and could not leave the condo for the rest of our time there.

I braved a trip into town and tried to find postcards and stamps to send back something to family. I know I’m weird, but I’ve been doing it on any trip I take for years. I couldn’t find any postcards and the post office was about to close so I went and got stamps. This served double duty as I thought they might have postcards as well. No such luck.

While at the post office I asked the guy for where to get food should we begin to feel better. You know where he told me to go… Gonzalez’s. Do they bribe the locals for recommendations? Did we get to be the unluckiest people ever? Did we just happen to catch some bug at the exact same time from the airport?

So I head out to the car and get a call from the courier with our luggage – YAY! Something is going right again. We might save this trip in some way after all. I’ll be there in about 20 minutes. He says he’s only going to wait 15. Shit. (thankfully not literally)

Off to the races! I pulled up Maps and zipped up and down several roads I wondered if they qualified as roads by any real standards. I got to the gate and met the guy. Apparently security wouldn’t let him in without knowing our names and condo number. He pulled out one full-sized suitcase and I loaded it in my trunk. A quick check of the insides showed me this was our shoes and miscellany suitcase. Cool. I turned to get the other suitcase and the courier stared at me blankly.

“Where’s the other one?”

“What other one?”

“There are two missing.”

“I only have one. Please sign here.”

I signed the form and noted only one of two was delivered. I tipped the guy and sent him on his way. It wasn’t his fault, he waited, and that bag was pretty heavy. I pulled into the complex and dragged the suitcase into the condo. Jen was excited despite our illness until I shut and locked the door behind me.

“Too tired to get the other one right now?”

“There is no other one.”

We opened it up and remembered that with shoes being so heavy there wasn’t much else in this bag. A few odds and ends but nothing like our clothing. Some toiletries and I think some accessories like belts. Well, that was about worthless. I ventured back out shortly after to look for some postcards and more toiletries. Thankfully the unit has a washer/dryer and so we were able to exist with the couple of outfits we had picked up at Wal-mart. I still have the shorts actually. They’re really comfortable – not just for WM shorts, I’d put them on par with most brands except luxury.

I never did find any postcards, but I did get some bland food like crackers, ginger ale, and I braved some lunchmeat and bread. Again, as sick as we both were – Jen had it much worse.

We went to bed and hoped for a better day.